Hey, It's Jade! and family

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Read Aloud Thursday: July 28th

I recently found out about this weekly meme, called Read-Aloud Thursday @ Hope Is the Word  (found it via Homegrown Learners, oh how I love my homeschool bloggers!).  I am excited to take part because I love reading aloud to my kids.  And just the other day I was asking my friends on Facebook what they are reading aloud to THEIR kids.  And I also, I'd like to start highlighting some of the great Usborne Books & More titles I have to offer.  There are so many good ones available!!!  So, this is perfect for me!

[image location]
Last week we finished off Hank The Cowdog #4 Murder In the Middle Pasture.  So, of course, Preston demanded we start up #5 as soon as possible.  The fifth in the series is called Faded Love.  Hank feels unappreciated for all the work he puts in on the ranch and decides to leave "for good" to finally focus on his love life.  Oh boy.  As you can image Hank encounters all kinds of troubles on his way to visit his "true love."  That dog can't go anywhere without running into trouble, can he?  And I don't know why (ok, maybe I do), but when I read Hank out-loud, I have to do it with a bit of a twang.  Lol!  He is just a good 'ole country boy, after all!

I am also reviewing a children's book called The Lion's Deceit, written by Mpho Otukile from Botswana.  Preston read this one out-loud to me.  You can read the review of this title here.

[image location]
And now a spotlight on an Usborne book we read this week: That's Not My Dinosaur...! This is part of the Usborne Touchy-Feely Books collection.  Callen enjoyed this one because he is a big fan of dinosaurs (I know, what boy isn't?!). He loves to point at any picture of a dinosaur and growl.  Pretty cute stuff!   Preston also noted that there is a mouse on every page, much like the duck that appears on every page of some other Usborne books.  That's Not My Dinosaur... explains why these dinosaurs are not the one we're looking for ("It's tail is too fuzzy.") and provides a textured area of the dinosaur to touch and experience.  And, yes, the last pages show us the dinosaur we are looking for.  Hooray!  There is an entire series of books called "That's not my..." and offers friends like monsters, bears, kittens, bunnies, frogs and so many more!  The illustrations are adorable, and young children love to, well, touch and feel these books!

3 comments:

Mary said...

Would you believe we have the first 8 Hank books and we have yet to read them?? Yikes!

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

We have That's Not My Penguin, and my one year old really likes it! So glad you're back with another RAT post this week!

Jade Clark said...

Mary - Oh, you should have your boys read them, they're so hilarious!!!

Amy - Yes, all of those books are so cute, it was hard to decide which one to get for my baby... I just love hearing his "growl" so I had to go with dinosaur! Lol!