Hey, It's Jade! and family

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Cheap Vs Frugal

I call myself "frugal," but I've also always called myself "cheap" and I'm not ashamed.  Right now we have to be as frugal as possible, but even back when we didn't... I still would go out of my way to save money.  I mean, why not?  I just don't see the point of paying more if I don't have to.  Anyway, I read this article earlier, and while some of it is totally spot on, not all of the "cheap" things are so bad!

For example:
  • buy gifts for friends and family from resale shops or garage sales? (Y'know, SOME friends and family LIKE antiques, or things you can MAKE from old/used stuff)
  • cut your own hair? (If I COULD I would!)
  • wear shoes and clothes with stains and holes in them? (That pretty much describes my entire wardrobe!)
  • get old furniture out of the dumpster to re-finish for yourself? (Guilty! multiple times!)
There IS a fine line between being cheap and being frugal... like if you "order the cheapest thing on the menu with a glass of water, ask for all the free extras, and not leave a tip" - I might do most of that, but I would definitely tip the server!).  And does anyone REALLY split their 2-ply toilet paper to save money?  C'mon!

No comments: