Hey, It's Jade! and family

Thursday, May 19, 2011

31 Days to Clean, part 3 (of 5)...

Homemakers Challenge - 31 Days to CleanIt's not too late to start, if you are interested in the 31 Days To Clean Challenge.  The blog info is here and the 31 Days To Clean: Having a Martha House the Mary Way e-book can be found here.  You can start anytime, do it any way you want to, there aren't rigid rules... don't be intimidated.  There's also a helpful and encouraging forum, as well as twitter friends at the #31daystoclean hashtag! 

 Day 14 - Today's Martha Challenge was something about trading winter bedding for summer bedding.  Ummm.... what?  Never heard of such a thing.  Ok, fine, it makes sense in certain parts of the world I guess... and well, I don't even have a Winter/Summer wardrobe either.  I wear the same thing year-round... I also have the same comforters and sheets year-round.  I did, however, get a jump start on Day 15's Challenge because we plan to be gone most of the day tomorrow.  I'm only doing the master bedroom right now.  Taking on all three at once is a little much for me, I think.  So, since I don't have a home office (our computer, desk, etc. is set up in our master bedroom), I'll work on the boys' rooms then.

Day 15 - We had church and went to a Rangers game, so there wasn't much time for anything else.  I feel kinda guilty because I have been slacking on the Mary Challenges the past few days, but getting the Martha Challenges done just fine.  It seems to be easier to get up and clean lately than to spend time sitting still and figuring out certain areas of my life.  And today's challenge, having to do with coming up with a lesson plan... that should be right up my alley, being a homeschool mom and all, but, nope... totally ignored it.  I'll try to come back to that sometime this week!

Day 16 - What's blocking me from achieving my goals and ideals?  Lack of motivation... thinking it's too hard or not worth the trouble, I guess.  I feel like I don't have what I need or know where to start.  What can I do about it?  Do blog challenges!  Lol!  Seriously, doing this Mary/Martha Challenge is kicking my butt and getting me to do things I've NEVER done.  Today I vacuumed the mattress.  It wasn't part of the challenge, but I felt like it probably needed it!  I also dusted the fan in the bedroom and then vacummed the floors and some under the bed (eeeepppp!!!).  So, I didn't do exactly what the challenge told me to do, but pretty darn close at least.
Day 17 - Today's Mary challenge involved taking the DISC Personality Style Quiz.  I don't know how many times I've taken this thing, but I always forget what I am or what my choices are.  Anyway, for the record, I'm an "S" which apparently can mean "supportive" or "steady."  Basically, I like familiarity, I care about feelings, I'm dependable and understanding, etc.  I don't like change or confrontation... that's so true!  Anyway, now I know... let's see if I can remember.  I finished dusting the rest of the bedroom that I had already started. I peaked ahead to tomorrow's Martha Challenge, ugh our closets.  I swear, I organize that monkey every couple of months... it'll be nice for a few days, then BAM, total chaos again!  Anyway, I felt like it would a big task, so after the boys went to sleep, I got started.
  • Uhhhh.... I just peaked at tomorrow's Martha Challenge. Closet? Clean? Organize? Are you kidding me?
Day 18 - Since I got a head start last nite, it wasn't too bad.  I really just had to vacuum what I could of the floor in the closet.
Before
After
Well, at least you can SEE the floor now!  Granted, the closet is not how I'd like it to be, but we gotta but our stuff SOMEWHERE!  There isn't a lot of clothes or things to purge in there anymore (done that too many times already!).  But, I really struggle with the balance between throwing things away and keeping mementos.  So we have lots of boxes of letters, pictures, cards, and random things from concerts (tickets, posters, flyers, autographs, etc).  Sometimes I wanna just throw it all away because it causes so much clutter.  But then, I'm all... BUT THE MEMORIES!!!  I have also wrestled with selling my wedding dress and prom dress (yes, still have it 11 years later!).  I keep thinking I will list them, then just never get around to it in time for proms.  I guess there's always next year!  Haha!
  • Tackled that closet last nite, now just need to vacuum the carpet in there (at least what I can get to). Take that, Day 18, !!
Day 19 - We're supposed to move into the bathroom today, but our medicine cabinet is actually in our hall closet... so I started there and ended up in my bathroom.  I threw out several expired medicines and prescriptions, sorted some of my random stuff in the closet and made lots more room. 
Before, all crammed in there
After, slightly less crammed in there
It looks the same because I was able to take stuff that had been cluttering up my bathroom and move it into the cabinet.  Haha.  It still looks cluttered in here, but now my bathroom space is de-cluttered.  Moving junk from one place to another...  you can relate, right?  Please tell me you can relate!  =)
  • Got most of Day 19 done, just waiting for baby to wake so I can vacuum the closet floor (our med cabinet = hall closet!)
  • Yay, hall/medicine closet organized, master bathroom de-cluttered! Successful Day 19, I'd say! 

2 comments:

Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews said...

Love your before and after pics!

I just found you through one of the Friday blog hops! Can't wait to read more. Have a great weekend.

Amanda @ www.nutritionistreviews.com

tammi said...

Okay, you can just quit bragging about your lack of need for winter bedding and clothing!!! Geez, up here on the Canadian prairies, our winter bedding gets used for at least HALF the year!! (no joke)

You're obviously following a different schedule than many of us, so it feels like you're way ahead ~ bedroom closets will be next week for me. And I'm dreading it as much as you were!! But I love those before and after pix ~ it feels so great, doesn't it?!