Hey, It's Jade! and family

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Homeschool Recap, Mar 2nd (Week 23)...

In my life this week...
Wow, we were super busy.  Or, I guess I was the one who had more going on than usual.  Tues-Fri I worked an Usborne table at the Rhea Lana's Children's Consignment Sale in Mansfield.  It was a bit slow for us this time around, but picked up towards the end, thank goodness.  I had a great time, though... getting to meet people, talk about books and hang out with the other vendor ladies. 

Our tax return finally deposited on Tuesday morning, but since I was booked this week we waited till today (Saturday) to go try to find us a van.  Unfortunuately, the two we found online that looked like our best options turned out to be nothing of the sort.  The one that was affordable had too much wrong with it, and the one we THOUGHT was a great deal wasn't really priced that way at all.  Really?  Grr.  So, I dunno.  I think maybe we had unrealistic expectations.  All we want is a super cheap, but reliable minivan... but I guess our "super cheap" budget needs to come up a bit to fit the "reliable" part.  =/

A story to share...
Sigh.  Callen loves to take our kitchen chairs and move 'em around so he can climb up on things, lately the cabinets.  Well, after several good scoldings about not moving the chairs, I went to the bathroom, came back and found him like this.

Oh my stars, this boy is a handful! =)
He has pushed the large ottoman (not the chairs!) from the living room into the kitchen, climbed up on the stove (not the cabinet!), dumped out a box of toothpicks, opened the olive oil, was playing with my Fiestaware salt shaker.  Yes, before I scolded him, I took a picture.  I couldn't help it.  It was too ridiculous.  This boy is a live one, I tell ya!

In our Homeschool this week...

Tot School: Callen came out with a bunch of new words again this week, and doing a much better job at repeating stuff we try to get him to say.  We're working on his name, but he's having a really difficult time making the hard "C" sound, poor kid.  He still loves sitting at the table during school going crazy with the dry-erase markers, lol.  I think he thinks that what "school" means, 'cause when I tell Preston it's time for school, Callen will run over and start pointing for his dry-erase board and markers.  And this evening he got so messy at dinner that I just threw him in the bath afterwards.  Before the bath, I sat him on his potty, but nothing.  Afterwards I was drying him off and he pulled away from me, sat down on his little potty and went pee pee!  We had a big, loud, happy celebration - and he was so excited!  Hopefully that's really the start of something with the potty training!!!


Bible: Preston and I worked on memorizing and understanding Proverbs 29:25, "The fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord will be kept safe."  Also went over 2 Thessalonians through Titus in the New Testament books, as well as talked about King Saul, David and Solomon.

Reading/Writing: Talked about -er and -est (as in great, greater, greatest) and some more silent letters, like "wr" and "mb."

Math: Worked on 2-digit adding in his Complete Book of Math.  Preston caught on to this easily enough!

Science:  This week's science them was "Water Power."  We were too busy, and school was rushed, so we didn't really do anything but read from Science With Water about the subject.

Music/Art: This week we continued with the hymn, "Take My Life, and Let It Be." We talked about the violin and viola, and read the book Play It Again, Rosie!  We looked at a Picasso portrait.  And we skipped Drawing with Children this week... just didn't have time (again).
Spanish: We continued with school/classroom words and worked in the Complete Book of Spanish.


We are using My Father's World First Grade. See our curriculum here.

Blog Hoppin' with:
The Homeschool Mother's Journal Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers 

1 comment:

Mary said...

LOL- love the picture! I am glad he didn't turn the stove on!!!