Hey, It's Jade! and family

Friday, July 6, 2012

2012-2013 Curriculum Choice...


Not Back to School Blog Hop
I have this info as a static page on my blog, but wanted to make it an actual blog post too so I could participate in the link-up!

2012-2013 2nd Grade (with my 6-year-old):  Adventures in My Father's World, Deluxe Edition (most of it anyway).  I am very excited to be continuing with My Father's World.  Preston and I really enjoyed it last year and it seems like a great fit for us!  So, starting July 9th, 2012, we'll be diving into...

History, Bible & Science
Pictured here is the core of the curriculum... the history, science, Bible and read-alouds that came with the set.  We will be learning American History, including detailed 50 state lessons, and the Names of Jesus as our main focus.  Not pictured, but have to give props to MamaJenn and her wonderful memory verse printables we'll be using along with our program again this year!
Extra reading & study
These are read-aloud and other specially themed books I have collected so far to go along with our studies... lots of American history as well as some science that I know Preston will enjoy.  Some of these books are from my Usborne collection: Sing, Nightingale, Sing!, The Story of Inventions, From Pie Town to Yum Yum, Who Were The Vikings?, Who Were the First North Americans? and Who Came Down That Road?  These are just the books we already own... we, of course, will be making our bi-weekly trips to the library to stock up on even more reading material.  Love the literature-based learning!  I also have a ton of additional supplements downloaded and ready to go if I find that we need them.  I do plan to do several American History type lapbooks through the year... and we'll see what else we can find to go along with our curriculum as we go!

Language Arts
As suggested by MFW, we will be using the first half of Primary Language Lessons for language usage, composition and dictation and Spelling By Sound and Structure to cover vocabulary.  And yes, we'll be reading, reading, reading!

Math
While MFW suggests using Singapore Math, I have decided to use Math Mammoth.  I didn't really like the way Singapore was set up, and preferred the laid-back approach these worktexts use.  We'll also be using Wrap-Ups and Usborne Activity Cards, like Math Puzzles.

Fine Arts
I am using the music suggestions from MFW, which include the Celebrate America CD of patriot songs and the Tchaikovsky CDs and book.  However, I decided not to use the suggest I Can Do All Things, and instead use Usborne books I had on hand: The Usborne Book of Famous Artists, My Very First Art Book and My Very First Art Coloring Book.  I will also be using a downloaded unit study and lapbook on "World's Greatest Artists" from Confessions of a Homeschooler.

La Clase Divertida, Level 1 Curriculum
Foreign Language: Spanish
I originally planned to take Spanish really easy this year, and, honestly, not do much of it at all.  BUT... I was blessed with La Clase Divertida, Level 1 curriculum (for free at a book swap, OMGosh!) and am now so excited to use it!  So, each lesson is spaced out over two weeks, and there are 15 lessons.  We'll also be watching Salsa videos on a weekly basis, as well as working through First Thousand Words in Spanish and using the Spanish Words and Phrases Flashcards as needed/wanted  Also, I purchased a used audio lesson pack on cassette a while back and have yet to try it out.  I plan on popping that into the car every so often... hope it works, lol!

Continuing from last year we will be using our workbox system and Morning Board.  I'll provide a photo of those when we have them all ready!

2012-2013 Tot School (with my 2-year-old):  We will be working through the 1+1+1=1 Tot School Pack, which goes from A-Z and focuses on various vocabulary development themes, colors, shapes and more! I also won a membership to MamaJenn's Education Cubes and am excited to use those with him and Preston this year!  We do lots of Dry-Erase books and activities, he LOVES them.  He enjoys "writing" and coloring a lot, and adores any chance to use the Discovery Toys Giant Peg Board... he's doing great recognizing the colors and different shapes on that thing.  Love it!  Hopefully we can get Callen to cooperate more during "school time" by getting him involved, giving him his own lessons to do or otherwise keep him out of brother's hair!  Lol.
 
Previous Curriculum used: My Father's World First Grade, 2011-2012

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are using MFW Adventures next year, too! We've done it before with my older group and I'm looking forward to using it again with my 2nd grader :)

May you have a year filled with many blessings!

~Tamara
www.allofakindfamily.com

Stefanie said...

Looks like a wonderful year!

You're going to love the education cubes.

Jessica @ Mother of Action said...

Thank you for sharing...I am viewing from the Curriculum Choice link up! We enjoy math mammoth also and my elementary son will be doing Spanish also with our Co-Op! Happy Homeschooling!

Anonymous said...

I love to hear what you think of Adventures so far. It's a consideration for my 3rd grader this year, but part of me is afraid it will be to light for him. I would like him to school for 3 hours. We attempted ECC last year and we barely covered 2.5 hours with all subjects for both of my kids!

MK said...

Enjoy your year with Adventures! We enjoyed it all very much!