Hey, It's Jade! and family

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

A Chickfila Civil War...

I don't have anything brilliant or terribly insightful to add to the recent Chickfila controversy. But since this is my blog, and I enjoy looking back years later to see what was going on in the world... I thought I would post something for posterity.

It is heart breaking to see this "civil war" breaking out right now over this.  Both sides seem to be spinning their wheels, and are only further hurting their causes, it seems.  If you like Chickfila and/or agree with what Dan Cathy said about traditional (one man-one woman) marriage, you're intolerant and hateful.  If you are on the opposite end, you're offended and want to shut down/keep out all CFA restaurants because of one man's comments.  Really, y'all?  Really?  Don't we have bigger things to worry about than whether or not it's ok to eat at a restaurant?  CFA (or it's CEO) has just as much right to be in favor of traditional marriage as the other side has to be in favor of same-sex marriage.

I am a Conservative Christian and I do believe in traditional family values, which seem to be so passé these days. We have been (and will continue to be) avid customers of our local Chickfila. #1, because we like the food. #2, because we appreciate the company as a whole. No other fast food chain I know offers such fantastic, high-quality product, outstanding customer service, seems to truly appreciate and work hard to treat their employees well, and has such a mindful attitude about family values. They have books as the prize in their kids meals! They do a fine job of keeping their restaurants, food and employees above most fast food standards.  Psh, and they're fun, too!

My family just a few weeks ago.
These recent someecards.com graphics sum up my thoughts nicely...

I mean, really?  What did you expect him to say?
There isn't just one side being "intolerant" here.

I appreciate Chickfila for taking a stand for what they believe in.  For not being "PC" just to make sure they don't lose business. I don't think Cathy's comments, in the grand scheme of things, are all that earth shattering, nor are they a reason for this huge uproar on either side.  I think those that are eating Chickfila today should be doing it to show their appreciation of the company's stance regarding their traditional values... not just to rub it in the faces of those who disagree.  We are entitled to our own opinions... this is AMERICA, after all.  If you want to voice your opinion, you should probably be able to handle hearing someone else's opinion.  Ok?  But, let's try to make ALL of our voices loving (I'm not saying "tolerant" here, I'm saying loving... this CAN be done, y'all).  We are still neighbors, and I'm pretty sure our top two instructions in this life are to "Love God.  And love your neighbor."  It doesn't say agree with your neighbor, and it doesn't say tolerate your neighbor and his actions... it says LOVE them. Period.

1 comment:

MamaMunky said...

I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum, I'm a liberal Christian (is that a thing?) but I agree with you 100% Being intolerant of the CEO's beliefs is just as wrong as being intolerant of anything else. And why is everyone so surprised that a Christian organization doesn't support gay marriage? I don't understand it at all.